We have been waiting SO long to be able to say . . . It is our pleasure to announce Listen To Your Mother Boulder 2022 Auditions!
It has been a long, stressful two years (!!) since the last LTYM Boulder auditions; the 2020 shows were virtual, and we have been eagerly anticipating our show at the Boulder Theater on Saturday, May 7th.
With this latest COVID wave, we are going to adapt our usual audition procedure accordingly to keep everyone’s health and safety as our top priority. There are some pretty significant changes this year, so please read the following carefully and feel free to email us with questions.
***This year, our first round of auditions will be an email submission of your written piece.
The second round of auditions will take place on Zoom.***
Interested in auditioning? Here’s what you need to know!
- Send us an email with your audition piece at ltymboulder @ gmail.com with the word audition in the subject. You can share a Google doc with us at that address, embed your piece into the body of the email, or attach a Word doc.
- Your piece should be approximately 5 minutes when read aloud. This is roughly 600-1100 words, but will vary widely depending on content and speaking style. PLEASE PRACTICE BEFORE AUDITIONING, time yourself, and edit appropriately to achieve the desired time.
- The deadline to email your audition piece is February 7th; we will email everyone by February 14th to let you know if you’ve moved on to the second round.
- For those who are invited to the virtual audition round, you will sign up online for an audition date and 15-minute time slot.
- Zoom auditions will take place the evening of March 1st and during the daytime the weekend of March 5th and 6th. You will have your choice of these days/times when we email you the online sign up form.
- Those who are cast must be able to commit to two evening rehearsals–April 4th and April 26th--as well as the afternoon/evening of the show on May 7th.
For those of you who think there is no way that YOU have a story to share, we want to remind you:
If you have a mother, know a mother, or are a mother, you have a story to tell about motherhood.
Your story may be the one that touches someone in the audience who needed to hear it. Your story is unique. Your story is needed.
Here are a few more things to keep in mind before auditioning:
- The central theme of the story must be motherhood. We always aim for a diverse mix of stories—we look for funny essays, poignant essays, and everything in between. We welcome all stories of motherhood from all people.
- You DO NOT have to be a mother (or even a woman!) to audition.
- You do not have to have your piece memorized. In fact, we prefer it if you do not, as this show is a series of live readings (not performances).
- You do not have to consider yourself a writer or have experience as a stage performer– we welcome all levels of experience with writing and speaking.
- We recommend you check out videos of past shows, including Boulder’s 2013-2016 shows, which you may find here.
- Previously published work may be accepted as long as you have full rights to read it at this event.
A few more words about COVID safety:
Considering this latest wave of the new variant, we are continuing to follow CDC guidelines as well as the specific safety protocol of The Boulder Theater. They are currently requiring proof of vaccination to enter the theater, and as such, those who are interested in auditioning MUST be vaccinated, and submit proof of vaccination prior to auditioning. We will continue to modify and adapt our practices as the winter and spring unfolds, and please know that we are putting the health and safety of our cast and community first.
We are approaching this year’s LTYM season with more joy and anticipation than ever before—it will truly be a celebration of not just motherhood and storytelling, but of community and connection.
Tickets are on sale here—you can order yours any time!
Please feel free to email us with questions at ltymboulder @ gmail.com. We know these changes are a little confusing and we are here to answer any questions you may have; in the meantime, mark your calendars for May 7th, and buy advance tickets online here. We can’t wait to see you all in person this year for an extra special show.
Stephanie & Megan, your LTYM Boulder producers