It is our pleasure to announce Listen To Your Mother 2020 Auditions for Denver & Boulder, Colorado!
LTYM Denver will take place on Thursday, April 23rd at 7:30 pm, and LTYM Boulder is on Saturday, May 9th at 7:30 pm! Is this your year to be part of our cast? Auditions are coming up in late February and we can’t wait to hear your stories!
For those of you who think there is no way that YOU have a story to share, we want to remind you:
If you have a mother, know a mother, or are a mother, you have a story to tell about motherhood.
This is not a show for professional speakers/writers (though we welcome all levels of experience). LTYM is about motherhood and Motherhood is for EVERYONE. Your story may be the one that touches someone in the audience who needed to hear it. Your story is unique. Your story is needed.
This year we have three different locations and days to choose from. Auditions will be in Boulder/Denver/Louisville by appointment only:
Tuesday, February 25th in Boulder: 6:00-9:00 pm
Saturday, February 29th in Denver: 10:00 am-3:00 pm
Sunday March 1st in Louisville: 10:00am-3:00pm
To schedule an audition, email ltymboulder (at) gmail (dot) com. Please write AUDITION in the subject line.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Your piece should not exceed 5 minutes. This is approximately 600-800 words, but will vary widely depending on content and speaking style. PLEASE PRACTICE BEFORE AUDITIONING, time yourself, and edit appropriately to achieve the desired time.
- The central theme of the story must be motherhood. We always aim for a diverse mix of stories—we look for funny essays, poignant essays, and everything in between. We welcome all stories of motherhood from all people.
- You DO NOT have to be a mother (or even a woman!) to audition.
- You do not have to have your piece memorized. In fact, we prefer it if you do not, as this the show is a series of live readings (not performances).
- You do not have to consider yourself a writer or have experience as a stage performer.
- We recommend you check out videos of past shows, including Boulder’s 2013-2016 shows, which you may find here.
- If you are selected you must be present at both rehearsals for the show or shows you are participating in:
- Denver show only: 6pm-9 pm Tuesday, March 17th and 6-9 pm Tuesday April 7th
- Boulder show only: 6pm-9 pm Tuesday, March 31st and 6-9 pm Tuesday, April 28th
- AND on the day of the show: For Denver– Thursday, April 23rd at the Oriental Theater, beginning at 5:00 pm with 7:30 showtime. For Boulder– Saturday, May 9th at the Boulder Theater, beginning at 4:00 pm with 7:30 showtime.
- Previously published work may be accepted as long as you have full rights to read it at this event.
Questions? Ask away! Leave them in the comments section below or email them to us at ltymboulder (at) gmail (dot) com. We can’t wait to hear your stories, and we’re so excited for the 2020 Colorado LTYM SHOWS!
Stephanie, Megan, Jessey, & Ellen
Your LTYM Boulder producers
Sign up here to receive our email newsletter updates and stay up to date on all LTYM Boulder announcements!
[* Shield plugin marked this comment as “Pending Moderation”. Reason: Human SPAM filter found “..a” in “comment_content” *]
I was a single father raising a daughter. One of my father/daughter stories is being published in the next edition of Chicken soup for the Soul.
…Anyway for a fatherhood story to make your roster?
Absolutely! Our announcement says “You DO NOT have to be a mother (or even a woman!) to audition.” and we mean it! I will email you the information you need to get signed up!
Should I send you my written submission in advance of my audition? If so, when do you need it?